Year 2!
Daisypath Ticker

Saturday, January 27, 2007
Monique

Today is the birthday of my friend Monique Villa, who passed away nearly 6 years ago at the age of 29. Realizing how long she's been gone makes me pause in disbelief sometimes. It really seems strange to me how we (her friends) have all come to accept the fact that her fiery, breathtaking presence has all but been snuffed out of this earth forever. She was just too...beautiful, too young and vibrant, to have ever become invisible, as her death has now deemed her to be.

Even after all this time, I can easily flick on a switch in my memory and hear her sweet soprano voice singing Tuptim's songs from the "King & I". I can see her dancing across the stage as Sleeping Beauty in those unbelievably tiny and delicate dancing slippers. I still sometimes drive through our old street (we lived a few houses away from each other) expecting to see her sitting beside me in the car looking straight ahead with those large, disney-princess eyes. We often drove to rehearsals together and shared many laughs and obscure theater songs on the long ride across South Super Highway. Monique probably weighed all of 90lbs and yet could scarf down platesful of rice in a single meal. We often asked her, where did all that food go? And with an impish grin, she would point to her head and declare, here!

Well, Monique, we all knew how much you loved to sing. And how much you wanted to learn and improve and become a great thespian. So much so that you fought for (and won) the role of a crochety, wrinkled old crone in the musical "Oliver!" just so people could finally see beyond your pretty face to the true artist within. You left this world still singing-- in a voice that we may not have been privileged to hear, but which I know God heard loud and clear. There is no doubt in my mind that you are singing your heart out now up in heaven, probably leading the choirs of angels themselves.

I just wanted you to know, in my own small way, that you will never be forgotten. Happy Birthday!
 
posted by The White Rabbit at 3:19 PM | Permalink |


2 Speak Up, I Can't Hear You:


  • At 8:36 AM, Blogger MadMuse

    Your post made me tear up. I've thought of Monique over the years as I browsed through albums of the shows that we did together. I also remember IMing with her in AOL in the last couple of years during her treatment. I loved the way her eyes lit up and the way she laughed...a lot! I remember her being able to drink all the guys in the Company of Players under the table. I remember getting into a huge fight with someone who was trying to upstage her. :) I do miss her and your post just made me realize how much. Thanks, Jenny. It makes me sad that she's not an instant message or text away, but we'll see her again one day - and that thought just warms me up.

     
  • At 9:47 PM, Blogger The White Rabbit

    Thanks for dropping by, Pia! Isn't it such a privilege to have known this person? To have had her pass through our lives, even for just a short while? There is comfort in being able to share thoughts of Monique with friends who truly appreciated and "got" her. She left quite an impact on us all.

    Take care and Godbless you always!
    :-D