Year 2!
Daisypath Ticker

Wednesday, September 06, 2006
If Only
Rony posted this song on his blog, and I just fell in love with it. It's from the soundtrack album of the coming Little Mermaid musical. As if the 1988 animated Disney film wasn't captivating enough! Notice a few strains from Part of Your World weaved into the music. I'm posting the lyrics here as well, to show how earnestly our two protagonists' thoughts fly between them. We've all been there, haven't we? That hopefulness, in spite of the odds. That frustration, when we can't seem to get the words out. In Ariel's case, it's a little more difficult--as she's lost the voice that won the prince's heart, and now must win him back even without it. Prince Eric's words are in blue, and Ariel's are in orange (like her hair). . .


If Only (The Little Mermaid)




Are you feeling better now? You're sure...
You're not going to faint again, are you?
Maybe you have no idea what I'm talking about...
If only you could know
The things I long to say
There's a lot more to you than meets the eye,
isn't there?
If only I could tell you
What I wish I could convey
You know how sometimes you meet someone. . .
everything changes, just like that?
It's in my every glance
My heart's an open book
Suddenly the world comes together. . .
you know what you've been missing all your life. . .
You'd see it all at once if only you would look.
. . .that's happened to me. You see I met this girl and. . .
her voice was---

I'm sorry, I shouldn't be bothering you
with all this. . .

I really enjoyed our talk.

Sleep well. . .

If only you could glimpse
The feeling that I feel
If only you would notice
What I'm dying to reveal
The dreams I can't declare
The needs I can't deny
You'd understand them all
If only you would try

All my secrets, you would learn them
All my longings, you'd return them
All my shackles, they'd be broken
Not a word would need be spoken

What is it about her that's so wonderfully, impossibly familiar?
Why do I feel dizzy in a way I've only felt but once before?
How come when she looks at me, it seems like time stops moving?
Almost like the way it did that day upon the shore. . .
But that voice. . .but that voice. . .where's that voice. . .

If only it were true
If only for a while
If only you would notice
How I ache behind my smile
I guess you never will
I guess it doesn't show
But if I never find a way to tell you so
Oh, what I would give if only you could know. . .

Memories fade
Strange how they blur
But when she calls to me. . .
I'll know it's her.

If only. . .
 
posted by The White Rabbit at 5:54 PM | Permalink |


3 Speak Up, I Can't Hear You:


  • At 11:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    love the song! thanks to you and rony for sharing it! ;)

     
  • At 12:24 AM, Blogger rhapsody

    Memories fade, strange how they part
    But when she calls to me...
    I'll know it's my counterpart...

    Yuh...


    Sipag mo ha!

    I just love the simplicity and truth of the lyrics. She's just this young teenager...

    *stab through heart* For her to still say, "what I would give if only you could know" after losing her voice, her fins, her family, just to be with him... the folly of youth. *sigh*

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger The White Rabbit

    Happy to share it, Me-an! Least I can do for the Hot Loops, haha.

    yes Rony, if only i was just as sipag with my work as i am with these things. haha. but i love it, i really do. Our new hobby-- putting a Trumpets spin on the lyrics:

    Memories fade, see how they dart
    Who's that swimming towards me?
    Ah yes--it's my counterpart...